Do you wish to make your city socially sustainable for the future? Do you want to deliver social rights for all people in your city? Join our autumn Social Affairs Forum in Stuttgart on 23-24 October to learn and be inspired on how to achieve these ambitions.
The theme of our forum will be: 'Together for Socially Sustainable Cities: Anchoring the Sustainable Development Goals to achieve Social Rights for All'. We will discuss the role of cities as active agents to deliver social sustainability and social rights for all. As the European Pillar of Social Rights is entering the implementation phase and the EU is preparing a reflection paper on the delivery of the Sustainable Development Goals in the EU, it is a timely opportunity to show the role of cities in linking these two agendas as well as with the Urban Agenda for the EU.
The two-day Forum meeting will see more than 150 representatives from over 50 European cities learning from one another during panel debates, workshops, site visits, speednetworking sessions and a political side event. Through mutual learning and exchange of innovative approaches, city officers and politicians will become more aware and ready to make cities socially sustainable for the future in a way that delivers social rights for all. All discussions will feed into a joint outcome of the Forum.
Do not miss out a special Forum meeting
This will be a special Forum meeting for three reasons. Firstly, it will wrap up the two-year mandate for SAF in 2017-2018. This will be a good occasion to reflect on the past achievements as well as plan ahead for 2019-2020 by electing a new Forum chair and vice-chair and agreeing on a new SAF strategy. Secondly, this will be the first Forum meeting since the proposals for the next EU funding programming period were released, which gives us a timely opportunity to assess the changes brought by the ESF+ and plan ahead how to involve cities in shaping the Operational Programmes for 2021-2027. Last but not least, this will be probably the last Forum meeting before the upcoming European Parliament elections in 2019, which makes it an important chance for cities to call upon the candidate MEPs and Commissioner on how to strenghten social Europe during the next mandate in 2019-2024.
Key questions of the Forum:
- What can each city do to deliver socially sustainable policies to achieve social rights for all? How can cities better work together and learn from each other how to anchor at local level the SDGs and the European Pillar of Social Rights?
- How can cities be the active agents in linking the EU Pillar of Social Rights, the SDGs and the Urban Agenda for the EU?
- What are the key recommendations from cities to candidate MEPs and Commissioners to take on board in their future mandate 2019-2024 to advance social Europe?
- Adopt the SAF strategy for 2019-2020 and election of Forum chair and vice-chair
- Compile the result of the workshops into a set of recommendations from cities to candidate MEPs and Commissioners that will feed into a EUROCITIES Statement on strengthening social Europe in 2019-2024
- Announce the EUROCITIES position on the ESF+ proposal calling for financial support for cities to deliver on their commitment to implement the European Pillar of Social Rights
If you are interested to attend, then register here: https://eurocities-saf-stuttgart-2018.eventbrite.com